Thursday, August 11, 2005

SNL: 5 star rebuttal

OK, we’ve covered the 5 star cast members. Some thought I may have omitted some deserving women. Names suggested were Cheri Oteri, Jan Hooks, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch and Maya Rudolph. Now this is my personal preference. Obviously, anyone can have their own list of 5 stars.

I think Cheri is a fair suggestion but she is a 4 star for me. That’s not an insult by any means but she just didn’t quite reach that 5 star level for me. If you found out she was starring in a comedy movie, would you be really motivated to see it? For me personally, the answer is no.

Rachel Dratch is an excellent suggestion and she could well end up there in another year or two. She’s extremely versatile, doesn’t recycle the same character over and over and I find her very funny. But for now, she’s still a 4 star for me.

I really like Jan Hooks but other than “Stalk Talk” and maybe another couple sketches, I didn’t find her that memorable. Does anyone remember a recurring character of hers? I remember laughing a lot at her because she brings everything to her character, no matter how stupid that character may be. But I’d have her between a 3 and 4. Probably a 3 because I don’t think she was as good as Cheri or Rachel.

Tina Fey. Fey is a tough one. As a cast member, I think she’s close to a 4 just for the news. But that is really all she does, aside from playing extra #2 in some sketches. Now, I will grant she seems to be a great writer and has been head writer for a few years now. If I was grading people who’ve had an impact on the show, I’d grade her a 5 star. But as a cast member, she falls short.

Amy Poeler has a ton of potential and is probably just short of the 4 star category. I’ve liked her for a while (great at the Tourette’s girl in Deuce Bigalow) but I can’t recall a character she played that always made me laugh. She’s also very versatile.

Maya Rudolph is ok. There are some times I like her and some others that she grates on me. In my book, she’s a 3 star.

But this current crop of women is probably the best I can remember them having.

Another thing we need to consider is that we’re probably going to be more biased towards the cast members we are currently watching.

I’ll try to put more out about tomorrow or early next week on my other 4 stars, besides Cheri, Tina and Rachel.

Here’s a good recap of Bill Simmons’ top 5 SNL sketches.

I have seen the Joe Montana, Richard Pryor, Chris Walken and Baldwin sketches and have them all on tape. Of that list, the Pryor one was my fav. I have never seen the Stevie Wonder/Eddie Murphy sketch.

|